A well-designed outdoor area offers an extra place at home to relax, socialise, and embrace the joys of nature. However, the fun doesn't have to end when the sun goes down.
With the right garden lighting, you can create a warm and welcoming atmosphere in your outdoor space to enjoy at night, while also improving safety and security.
Below, we'll explore the different types of outdoor garden lighting, how to choose the best ones for your space, and installation and maintenance tips.
- Types of garden lighting
- Considerations for choosing garden lighting
- How much does garden lighting cost?
- Garden lighting ideas and tips
- Installation and maintenance
- Choosing the right professional
- Questions to ask your tradesperson
Types of Garden Lighting
There are many types of garden lighting available on the market, each with its own unique features and benefits. Some of the most common ideas for garden lighting include:
- Path lights: Path lights are designed to illuminate walkways and paths, encouraging safety and guiding visitors. These lights can be solar or electric and come in a variety of styles and designs.
- Spotlights: Spotlights are ideal for highlighting specific garden features, such as statues, fountains, or trees. They can also be used to add depth and dimension to your garden by casting shadows and creating contrast.
- String lights: String lights (or ‘fairy lights’) are a versatile and popular option for enhancing your outdoor area. They can be hung from trees, fences, or pergolas to create a warm and inviting atmosphere. They come in a variety of styles and can be battery-operated, solar-powered, or electric.
- Deck and patio lights: Deck and patio lights are perfect for illuminating outdoor living spaces, such as decks, patios, and porches. They can be mounted on the walls or installed into the decking to provide a subtle and stylish lighting solution.
- Floodlights: Floodlights are designed to provide bright and wide-angle lighting, making them ideal for illuminating large areas, such as driveways or gardens. They can be solar or electric and come in a range of brightness levels.
- Lanterns: Lanterns are a classic and timeless garden lighting option. They can be hung from trees or placed on tables to provide a warm and inviting atmosphere. They come in a range of styles and designs, from rustic to modern.
Considerations for Choosing Garden Lighting
Choosing the right garden lighting can take some research to find the best style to match your home. Here are some important factors to consider before buying:
- Power source: Your outdoor lighting can be powered by electricity or solar power. Solar-powered lighting is environmentally friendly and cost-effective, but may not be as bright as electric lighting. Lighting with electricity, on the other hand, is generally brighter and more reliable, but may be more expensive to install and maintain.
- Style and design: Garden lighting comes in a range of styles and designs, from rustic to modern. Consider the style of your home and garden when choosing your lighting. You may want to opt for a style that complements the existing decor of your garden.
- Brightness and colour temperature: The brightness and colour temperature of your garden lighting can affect the ambience of your outdoor space. Choose a brightness level that suits your needs and consider the colour temperature of the lighting. Warm white lighting can create a cosy and inviting atmosphere, while cool white lighting can create a more modern and sophisticated look.
- Durability and weather resistance: Garden lighting is exposed to the elements, so it's important to choose products that are durable and weather-resistant. Look for lighting that is made from high-quality materials and is designed to withstand the elements.
How much does garden lighting cost?
The cost of garden lighting can vary widely depending on several factors, including the type of lighting, the size of the garden, the installation requirements, and the quality of the lighting fixtures.
Generally, the price of outdoor garden lighting can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars or more. For example, simple solar-powered path lights can cost as little as $10–$20 each, while high-end LED floodlights or spotlights can cost hundreds of dollars each.
Here are some estimated costs for different types of garden lighting in Australia:
- Solar-powered lights: Solar-powered lights are a popular and affordable option, with prices typically ranging from $10 to $50 per light. These lights don't require any wiring or electricity, making them easy to install and maintain.
- Low-voltage lighting: Low-voltage lighting is another cost-effective choice, with prices ranging from $20 to $100 per light. These lights require a transformer to convert the electrical current to a safe low voltage, and wiring to connect the lights to the transformer.
- LED lighting: LED lighting is popular thanks to its energy efficiency, with prices ranging from $50 to $300 per light. These lights offer a range of brightness and colour options and are typically long-lasting, durable, and low-maintenance.
- High-end lighting: High-end options, such as custom-designed fixtures or garden lighting kits, high-quality materials, and professional installation, can cost several thousand dollars or more. These lighting systems offer advanced features such as dimming, colour-changing, and remote control or smartphone operation.
It's important to note that the cost of garden lighting can also depend on the installation requirements, such as the need for wiring, transformers, and installation labour. It's recommended to consult with a professional lighting designer or landscaper to get a more accurate estimate for your specific garden lighting needs and budget.
Get free quotes in minutes.
Get quotes from our qualified and licensed tradies Australia-wide.
Garden Lighting Ideas and Tips
Designing your garden lighting plan can be a fun and creative process. Here are some tips to help you create an attractive and functional outdoor area:
- Layer your lighting: Layering your lighting can create depth and dimension in your garden. Use a combination of path lights, spotlights, string lights, and lanterns to create a variety of lighting levels and focal points in your garden.
- Highlight focal points: Use garden lighting to highlight the unique features of your garden, such as water features, statues, or trees. This can create a stunning visual effect and draw the eye to the areas you love the most.
- Balance function and aesthetics: When choosing your garden lighting, consider both practicality and appearance. While it's important to provide adequate lighting for safety, you also want your garden lighting to look attractive and complement the overall design of your outdoor space.
- Incorporate lights into hardscape and landscape elements: Don't just limit your garden lighting to standalone fixtures. Consider incorporating lighting into hardscape and landscape features, such as stairs, walls, and planters. This can create a cohesive and integrated lighting plan.
Learn more: Easy ways to transform the front of your home
Installation and Maintenance
Once you've chosen your garden lighting design, it's important to install and maintain it properly. Here are some tips to help:
- Safety considerations: If you're installing electric garden lighting, it's important to take safety precautions. Make sure to turn off power to the area before installing, and use a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlet to prevent electrical shocks.
- Bury and hide wires: To avoid tripping hazards and maintain the aesthetics of your garden, bury and hide your wires. You can use a shovel or trencher to create a shallow trench for your wires or use wire clips to attach them to hardscape or landscape features.
- Maintenance tasks: To keep your garden lighting working properly, it's important to keep on top of maintenance, such as replacing bulbs and cleaning fixtures. Make sure to turn off the power before performing doing so and follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and replacing bulbs.
If you need assistance maintaining or installing your new electrical features, get in touch with a local landscaper to help.
Choosing the Right Professional
Choosing the right contractor to install garden lighting can be just as important as choosing the right lighting fixtures. Here are some important factors to consider when selecting a professional to install your garden lighting:
- Experience and qualifications: Look for a professional with experience in garden lighting installation. They should have a portfolio of completed projects and references you can check. Consider their qualifications, such as licensing, insurance, and certification, to ensure they meet professional standards.
- Design expertise: A skilled professional should be able to assess your garden's unique features, and recommend lighting solutions that highlight its best aspects. Consider their design expertise, such as their ability to create a lighting plan that's both functional and aesthetically pleasing.
- Quality of materials: A professional installer should use high-quality materials, such as durable fixtures and wiring, to ensure the longevity and reliability of your lighting system. Ask about the materials they use and make sure they offer a warranty or guarantee on their work.
- Cost and budget: Consider the cost of installation and whether it fits your budget. Some professionals may offer package deals or financing options, while others may charge an hourly rate or fixed fee. Make sure to get a detailed estimate and understand what's included in the cost.
- Communication and collaboration: It's important to work with a professional who is communicative and collaborative. They should be willing to listen to your needs and preferences and provide regular updates on the installation process. They should also be responsive to any questions or concerns you may have.
- Maintenance and support: Consider the maintenance and support services offered by the professional. They should be available for ongoing maintenance and repairs, and provide you with instructions on how to properly care for your lighting system.
Questions to Ask Your Tradesperson
Here are some questions that can be helpful to ask when hiring a professional for your job:
- Can you provide references from previous work?
- Are you licensed and insured?
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you have specific experience and training to maintain certain brands or types of appliances?
- How do you communicate with customers during the process?
- Are you flexible with your schedule, and can you work on weekends if necessary?
Garden Lighting FAQs
What are the benefits of garden lighting?
Garden lighting provides several benefits, including enhanced curb appeal, increased safety and security, and extended hours to enjoy your outdoor space. It can also highlight specific features in your garden, such as statues, water features, or plants, and create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
What types of garden lighting are available?
There are several types of garden lighting available, including solar-powered lights, low-voltage lighting, LED lighting, and high-end lighting systems. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the best choice depends on your needs and budget.
How to install garden lighting?
The installation process for garden lighting depends on the type of lighting you choose. Solar-powered lights require no wiring and are simply inserted into the ground. Low-voltage lighting and LED lighting require wiring and a transformer, and are typically installed by a professional. High-end lighting systems require custom design and installation by an electrician or landscaper.
How do I maintain my garden lighting?
Regular maintenance is important to ensure the longevity and reliability of your garden lighting. This may include cleaning the fixtures, outdoor lighting globes or batteries, and checking the wiring and connections. It's recommended to consult the manufacturer's instructions or a professional for specific maintenance guidelines.
Can garden lighting be used for security purposes?
Yes, garden lighting can be used for security purposes, as it can deter potential intruders and illuminate dark areas around your property. Motion sensor lights can be particularly effective for security, as they only turn on when motion is detected.
Is it safe to leave garden lighting on all night?
Leaving garden lighting on all night can be safe, as long as the fixtures are designed for continuous use and are installed correctly. However, it's important to consider the energy consumption and the impact on the environment. Some lighting systems offer timers or sensors to automatically turn off the lights after a certain amount of time.
Garden Lighting Installation Near Me
Get free quotes in minutes.
Get quotes from our qualified and licensed tradies Australia-wide.
All the costs quoted were sourced at the time this article was written. They are to be used as an AUD cost guide and may vary locally, and are subject to market changes.