When water is alkaline, it just means it has an increased level of hydrogen present, as opposed to water that is more acidic. The healthiest drinking water should have a pH (hydrogen) level of around 8 or 9. Interestingly enough, tap water only has a pH of about 7, which is not alkaline and thus, not giving you the most health benefits.
Alkaline water has several incredible benefits to increase your overall health.
Not all water is created equal
Alkaline water results in more hydration as the water molecules are more easily absorbed in the human body. Hydration is essential to a thriving body working at maximum vitality.
Get your vitamins and minerals
Making sure the water you’re drinking is alkaline will result in more minerals like magnesium and calcium, as well as an abundance of antioxidants flooding your system.
Make your body more alkaline
An acidic body is detrimental to the health of the body causing many common diseases such as chronic fatigue, digestive issues, weight gain, headaches, acne, infections, heart problems, and even cancer. It takes a lot of work for the body to detoxify itself and neutralize the acids before they begin to poison its cells. Billions of cells in your body rely on an alkaline environment to be able to function properly.
On the other hand, keeping your body in an alkaline state results in more restful sleep, enhanced brain cognition, better immunity, easier weight loss, increased energy, improved heart health, and proper cell functioning.
Invest in a water filtration system
If you are serious about creating an alkaline home environment, you may want to invest in a water filtration system. Premium alkaline ionizer machines are costly, running you anywhere from 449.00 AUD to 3,850.00 AUD for the most comprehensive systems. Luckily, you can choose to pay off these big purchases over time via weekly payments. These machines guarantee that the water in your home is clean, fresh, alkaline water.
Natural ways to alkalize your water
If your budget doesn’t allow a comprehensive water filtration system, there are other ways you can consume more alkaline water. Things that make water more alkaline are lemons, sea salt, and pH drops to filtered water. To make sure you have alkaline water, you can test with pH strips commonly found at local health food stores or online. Another way to flood your system with alkaline water, is to purchase 100% BPA free bottled alkaline water sold by local food shops like Coles and Woolworths.
Natural ways to make your body more alkaline
It is important to drink a lot of filtered water and test to make sure it is alkaline to get your body into a healthier more alkaline state. However, you can eat certain foods that will result in a more alkaline body. As a general rule, you should be eating predominantly alkaline-forming foods, and minimal acidic-forming foods to create overall general health. Alkalizing foods include all vegetables, all fruits, leafy greens, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, nuts, seeds, onions, garlic, herbs, wheat, algae, grains, peas, and beans. Essentially, if you can grow it, it is alkaline and vital nourishment for the body.
In comparison, acidic-forming foods are most commonly meat, fish, dairy, eggs, coffee, alcohol, processed foods, sugar, tobacco, and canned foods. These foods should be kept to a minimum with alkalizing foods dominating your overall diet to achieve an alkaline disease-free body.
A great way to find balance is to create an 80-20 rule which suggests 80% of your diet is alkaline-forming and the remaining 20% of your diet is acidic-forming for your sweet tooth, post-work cocktails and caffeine addiction. Stay constantly hydrated with alkaline water during the weak moments to get the most from a balanced lifestyle.
A healthier home
To create a healthier home, invest in a home water filtration system to purify your water and make it more alkaline. Fill your fridge with more alkalizing foods and add lemon and sea salt to your filtered water to create a healthier you. To maintain healthier water in your home, always have pH strips available to test your water.
Other ways to be more alkaline
Getting outside or working out helps move acidic waste products out of your body so that it can eliminate them and keep the natural state of your body in tact, which is an alkaline state. Get out into the garden to reap the benefits of growing your own fruits and veggies and get your body and home back to alkaline.
About the Author
Kay is the Web Content Manager of Service.com.au. When Kay isn’t writing with ♥ from the Gold Coast of Australia, she is waking up early to enjoy the sunrise at her rainforest home, and researching sustainable living and holistic health tips for Aussie homeowners.
Get Quotes Now